Summer time means travel time (need some trip ideas? Visit Entouriste!) and whether you’re a jetsetter or a roadtripper, chances are your mind is on trip planning and not protecting your jewelry, which is just how it should be… if you’ve insured your jewelry!
Why consider jewelry insurance before your getaway? According to a recent survey by Jewelers Mutual Insurance Companyâ€”an insurer thatâ€™s been protecting jewelry for 101 yearsâ€”28% of people have lost a piece of jewelry while traveling. 43% of those losses were rings, often the most expensive piece of jewelry owned. Most importantly, nearly 7 in 10 of those who report jewelry loss while traveling did not replace their stolen piece.
If you must bring your jewelry while traveling, here are some tips from Jewelers Mutual to help minimize the chances of theft and loss:
- Pack light. Only take jewelry that you will wear while traveling and out and about.
- Make a list. Inventory the valuables you are bringing and make two copies of the list. Leave one copy at home and pack a copy to take with you.
- Carry on. Never put jewelry in checked baggage. Instead, wear with care.
- Keep it with you. Never leave jewelry unattended, and store jewelry in your hotel’s in-room safe when youâ€™re not wearing it.
- Last but definitely not least: Insure it! Insure your jewelry before leaving home and be sure you have coverage that makes sense for you. Standard homeowners and renters policies may not cover jewelry. Be sure that your policy is effective while in your travel destination, and covers theft, loss and mysterious disappearance.
Choosing jewelry insurance doesn’t have to be complicated. Get more travel tips, get a free quote, and quickly apply for insurance today to make sure your pieces are covered before embarking on your next journey.
*This post was sponsored by Jewelers Mutual.